Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ultrabook

Bot Coder

Ultrabook

I currently am looking to (maybe) buy an Ultrabook.
    Atm I have a Dell XPS17 3D with following specs:
    CPU: i7 8*2,2GHz (up to 3.4GHz)
    GPU: nVidia 555M
    RAM: 16GB DDR2
    HDD: 750GB HDD
    Display: FullHD 3D

and last but not least it weighs like over 9000 tons.
    That is the reason why I don't really use it as a laptop anymore but as stationary PC at home and for work. Due to my uni work it still would be kinda very handy to be able to take a laptop with me but I can't be arsed to carry that tons heavy thing around with me.
    I am thinking of getting an Ultrabook for maximum around 1300Ä (~USD1700). I currently have this one in focus:

ASUS ZENBOOK UX31A (13.3")
    https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultra...specifications
    CPU: i7 4*1.9GHz (up to 3.0GHz)
    GPU: Intel HD4000
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    HDD: 256GB SSD
    Display: FullHD Touchscreen

Mainly I need it to program (has to be able to run a VM with linux on it without any big laags/ VisualStudio 2012) and write texts / presentations in Office.
    Anybody happens to own an Asus Zenbook of that series and can share experiences or recommend me another brand / manufacturer / whatever?
    Happy to recieve any input, also why I should or should not get an Ultrabook etc.

Thanks in advance!

//siggy by Poseidon

Does it have to be a Zenbook or can it be something other? Because I've used some previous model laptops that worked pretty well with ps2 emulator gaming (i'm not sure if programming takes up more RAM or not, but i'm guessing the gaming is a good sign) at an FPS of a max at around 55-60 FPS (which is around the highest quality you'll get) without rendering the graphics down any, if you're interested.

Bot Coder

Quote Originally Posted by nalyat View Post
    Does it have to be a Zenbook or can it be something other? Because I've used some previous model laptops that worked pretty well with ps2 emulator gaming (i'm not sure if programming takes up more RAM or not, but i'm guessing the gaming is a good sign) at an FPS of a max at around 55-60 FPS (which is around the highest quality you'll get) without rendering the graphics down any, if you're interested.
    I really could not care less about graphics or games. I, in fact, do not own a single game (legally and / or illegal). All I want is:
    -> thin
    -> decently fast
    -> lightweight

Any Ultrabook meeting those criterias is fine. Does not need to be Asus or so.

//siggy by Poseidon

#Return

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    I really could not care less about graphics or games. I, in fact, do not own a single game (legally and / or illegal).
    As if you didn't have Pokemon when you were a child.... :O

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...ightlaptop.jpg
    This 13.3-inch model from Acer Aspire series is definitely one of the lightest and oldest ultrabooks. It was first revealed in October 2011 and since then it has been among the best seller laptops. This device from Acer is very similar to Apple MacBook Air in looks and slimness and I’d say only difference between them is of Operating System. Yes, this one comes with Windows 7. Other than latest OS, it includes 4GB RAM, 320 GB hard disk drive, 128 MB Intel HD graphics card and Intel Core i5 processor of 1.6 GHz. Keyboard and touchpad are very responsive and to be honest I haven’t seen this kind of responsive touchpad in any Windows device yet. Performance is also great in this notebook since it comes with an i5 processor. This model can easily be compared with Apple MacBook Air in performance and still you’re getting it cheaper than MacBook.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...eS53916495.jpg
    Yet another ultrabook from Acer Aspire series in this list but this one is better than the last one plus comes with better specs. Currently it is priced at around $940 and can be easily found at nearby local stores or online websites. Specs too are very competitive in this 13-inch ultrabook since it includes i5 Intel Core processor of 1.8 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Graphics card of 128MB and SSD of 128 GB. Since it is the latest model of this series it comes with Windows 8 and weighs slightly less than 2.6 pounds. This is the model you can absolutely say the latest laptop since it was first revealed in January 2013 and according to most of computer experts, it is the most reasonably priced ultrabook.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...eapadu300s.jpg
    I reviewed this ultrabook from Lenovo recently while unpacking it in video on my YouTube channel and I don’t think any laptop can be any lighter than this one. Its specs are perfect since it has i5 Intel Core processor of 1.6 GHz, 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Since it comes with advanced specs, performance is not going to be an issue and I have already tried playing few games on it and they all ran smoothly. Overall, I’d say it is designed nicely and can be easily compared with Apple MacBook Air in lightness and solidness. Screen resolution is only thing which is less than MacBook and other than that, they are both the same.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...testlaptop.jpg
    God knows how many versions there are of Apple MacBook Air, but all of them are extremely lightweight and solid. Currently we are reviewing the one with i5 processor, 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Apple MacBooks have always been known for being lighter, sleeker and slimmer. If you compare it with MacBook Pro then it’s really going to be tough choice to make but my vote goes to MacBook Air since it is best in virtually every aspect including performance and sound quality. Anyways, lately people have been complaining that I over-rate Apple products but what can I do if their devices are so great in every aspect? Well, you can believe me or go and check out other reviews where you’ll see what others are saying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    As if you didn't have Pokemon when you were a child.... :O
    I didn't. I've only played one game with Pokemon in it, and that was Super Smash Brothers.

Bot Coder

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...ightlaptop.jpg
    This 13.3-inch model from Acer Aspire series is definitely one of the lightest and oldest ultrabooks. It was first revealed in October 2011 and since then it has been among the best seller laptops. This device from Acer is very similar to Apple MacBook Air in looks and slimness and Iíd say only difference between them is of Operating System. Yes, this one comes with Windows 7. Other than latest OS, it includes 4GB RAM, 320 GB hard disk drive, 128 MB Intel HD graphics card and Intel Core i5 processor of 1.6 GHz. Keyboard and touchpad are very responsive and to be honest I havenít seen this kind of responsive touchpad in any Windows device yet. Performance is also great in this notebook since it comes with an i5 processor. This model can easily be compared with Apple MacBook Air in performance and still youíre getting it cheaper than MacBook.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...eS53916495.jpg
    Yet another ultrabook from Acer Aspire series in this list but this one is better than the last one plus comes with better specs. Currently it is priced at around $940 and can be easily found at nearby local stores or online websites. Specs too are very competitive in this 13-inch ultrabook since it includes i5 Intel Core processor of 1.8 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Graphics card of 128MB and SSD of 128 GB. Since it is the latest model of this series it comes with Windows 8 and weighs slightly less than 2.6 pounds. This is the model you can absolutely say the latest laptop since it was first revealed in January 2013 and according to most of computer experts, it is the most reasonably priced ultrabook.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...eapadu300s.jpg
    I reviewed this ultrabook from Lenovo recently while unpacking it in video on my YouTube channel and I donít think any laptop can be any lighter than this one. Its specs are perfect since it has i5 Intel Core processor of 1.6 GHz, 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Since it comes with advanced specs, performance is not going to be an issue and I have already tried playing few games on it and they all ran smoothly. Overall, Iíd say it is designed nicely and can be easily compared with Apple MacBook Air in lightness and solidness. Screen resolution is only thing which is less than MacBook and other than that, they are both the same.

http://www.lptps.com/wp-content/uplo...testlaptop.jpg
    God knows how many versions there are of Apple MacBook Air, but all of them are extremely lightweight and solid. Currently we are reviewing the one with i5 processor, 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Apple MacBooks have always been known for being lighter, sleeker and slimmer. If you compare it with MacBook Pro then itís really going to be tough choice to make but my vote goes to MacBook Air since it is best in virtually every aspect including performance and sound quality. Anyways, lately people have been complaining that I over-rate Apple products but what can I do if their devices are so great in every aspect? Well, you can believe me or go and check out other reviews where youíll see what others are saying about it.
    thanks for putting these together for me! However, I was rather looking for some personal experience or thoughts. These all seem to be a quite bit older, rather am willing to invest a bit more and then have one which is state of the art.

Scare, Pokemon I play on my mobile, not on my laptop .
    Scarecrow likes this.

//siggy by Poseidon

Well I previously used an I3 which was Wonderful, and the one i'm using now - an Aspire A8-4500M, AMD radeon HD 7640G with 512 MB graphics system memory - up to 2.8 GHz. Works wonderfully on full power rather than power saver (i forgot what the mode was called, excuse me). I'm a gamer so I mainly use it for games, not really knowing anything about programming personally so that's about all the information I can give you.

Bot Coder

Well I previously used an I3 which was Wonderful, and the one i'm using now - an Aspire A8-4500M, AMD radeon HD 7640G with 512 MB graphics system memory - up to 2.8 GHz. Works wonderfully on full power rather than power saver (i forgot what the mode was called, excuse me). I'm a gamer so I mainly use it for games, not really knowing anything about programming personally so that's about all the information I can give you.
    Alright, thanks! I am looking for a new and fast one. If I already have to spend a grand on it, I can as well spend a bit more and get the top notch things.

//siggy by Poseidon

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    Alright, thanks! I am looking for a new and fast one. If I already have to spend a grand on it, I can as well spend a bit more and get the top notch things.
    Alright best of luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast