Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need help finding a new laptop.

Need help finding a new laptop.

So I've decided to save up and get a new laptop. Problem is, I can't decide on what would be best in the long run.

My focus is a gaming laptop, with priorities being processor speed and graphics (with a decent amount of RAM, of course). My budget is $1500, and there must be no-interest financing available for 6-12 months or so (Cause I'm poor like that).

Here is the one I am seriously thinking about: Amazon.com: MSI Computer Corp. Notebook GT70 0NC-008US;9S7-176212-008 17.3-Inch Laptop: Computers & Accessories

I want nothing less than this processor. It must be an i7 Quad core, and over 2 gHz if possible. That laptop also has 12GBs of DDR3 Ram, which is a huge plus along with Nvidia's latest graphics card. Also take in consideration the hard drive SPEED (the size can be as low as 250gb, I don't care).

I appreciate any and all help
    Skype - wastedbro

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wastedbro View Post
    My focus is a gaming laptop, with priorities being processor speed and graphics (with a decent amount of RAM, of course).
    /thread

Do you insist on a laptop? A PC would be easier and more comfortable if your main focus is on gaming/

R.ita I.s P.erfect

Quote Originally Posted by Kandor View Post
    Do you insist on a laptop? A PC would be easier and more comfortable if your main focus is on gaming/
    I'm almost 17. A desktop wouldn't last me 2 years and I use my laptop in a ton of places anyway. I want the laptop to last me through at least 2 years of college or more. So yes, I insist.
    Skype - wastedbro

Banned

I'm almost 17. A desktop wouldn't last me 2 years and I use my laptop in a ton of places anyway. I want the laptop to last me through at least 2 years of college or more. So yes, I insist.
    If you want a gaming laptop that is going to last you two years you're going to have to spend like $5000.

Although I am forgetting the forum I am on, if you're looking to play Puzzle Pirates and other games from 2001 by all means spend $1500 on a laptop that is the equivalent of a $600 desktop. But like I said, if you want something that is going to play the upcoming games in the next two years comfortably then expect to dish out some serious coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezenemy View Post
    If you want a gaming laptop that is going to last you two years you're going to have to spend like $5000.

Although I am forgetting the forum I am on, if you're looking to play Puzzle Pirates and other games from 2001 by all means spend $1500 on a laptop that is the equivalent of a $600 desktop. But like I said, if you want something that is going to play the upcoming games in the next two years comfortably then expect to dish out some serious coin.

If he's playing YPP he can use a $400 laptop with more than enough processing power.

So I've decided to save up and get a new laptop. Problem is, I can't decide on what would be best in the long run.

My focus is a gaming laptop, with priorities being processor speed and graphics (with a decent amount of RAM, of course). My budget is $1500, and there must be no-interest financing available for 6-12 months or so (Cause I'm poor like that).

Here is the one I am seriously thinking about: Amazon.com: MSI Computer Corp. Notebook GT70 0NC-008US;9S7-176212-008 17.3-Inch Laptop: Computers & Accessories

I want nothing less than this processor. It must be an i7 Quad core, and over 2 gHz if possible. That laptop also has 12GBs of DDR3 Ram, which is a huge plus along with Nvidia's latest graphics card. Also take in consideration the hard drive SPEED (the size can be as low as 250gb, I don't care).

I appreciate any and all help

Newegg.com - MSI G Series GT600NC-004US Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 15.6" 12GB Memory 1TB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

This beats yours and gives slight more hard-drive space
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 07-15-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Double Posting...

Bot Coder

Dell.
    Dell all the way.

I have 2 work laptops from Dell where I just went on their website and put the best in they had and they are amazing. You normally always managed to find a site which has codes for up to 25% off but also my younger brother got a cheaper Dell laptop which, for its price is just kickass.

People talking about poor quality are just brabbling nonsense, it may happen that you get a "monday" device and have to send it back 1-2 times but after all the laptops are amazing, cheap and have everything you need.

Also why the heck would you need 12GB RAM and such a fast CPU if you're not professionally video rendering or such. You won't notice any difference between an i5 and i7, a worse graphics card (the 555M or even less will do just as good).

My 4*2.4GHz CPU from 3 years ago still easily runs any recent game and the 8GB of RAM are totally oversized for gaming.

My brother has an Insipron 15R with i5 and a 530M graphics card and still can run MW3 on highest settings with 40fps. You really should rather see what you NEED instead of what is cool or what gives you bragging rights, if you, as you said, don't have that much money.

//siggy by Poseidon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    My brother has an Insipron 15R with i5 and a 530M graphics card and still can run MW3 on highest settings with 40fps. You really should rather see what you NEED instead of what is cool or what gives you bragging rights, if you, as you said, don't have that much money.
    I respect the post, but some people want to be able to run games like MW3 and get higher FPS. I just ordered all of my new parts for all of the fall games coming out soon. You know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezenemy View Post

I don't really appreciate that condescending assumption, specially since we both play DayZ. My AMD processor can't handle it on the lowest settings.

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    Dell.
    Dell all the way.

I have 2 work laptops from Dell where I just went on their website and put the best in they had and they are amazing. You normally always managed to find a site which has codes for up to 25% off but also my younger brother got a cheaper Dell laptop which, for its price is just kickass.

People talking about poor quality are just brabbling nonsense, it may happen that you get a "monday" device and have to send it back 1-2 times but after all the laptops are amazing, cheap and have everything you need.

Also why the heck would you need 12GB RAM and such a fast CPU if you're not professionally video rendering or such. You won't notice any difference between an i5 and i7, a worse graphics card (the 555M or even less will do just as good).

My 4*2.4GHz CPU from 3 years ago still easily runs any recent game and the 8GB of RAM are totally oversized for gaming.

Thanks for this post, it gives me a better grasp on what I need. BUT, your 4*2.4GHz is similar to the speed of the laptop I posted, right? I don't even play MW3. I want to be able to play my current games like Arma2 on decent settings, plus all the popular RPGs that are coming out. Not to mention I multi-task.
    Skype - wastedbro

An i7 should only be chosen in favour of an i5 if you are doing CPU intensive activities often. Graphics design, 3d rendering, video editing work to the extreme. A Core 2 CPU can do any of this things easily. If you're focusing on gaming, an i5 is the way to go. 12 GB of DDR3 RAM is also overkill. 8 GB is truly plentiful.

Also, how old is your AMD processor? The way you phrase it makes it sound like it's AMD's fault that you can't run games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast