Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supply crate updater flagged for virus

I've been using supplycrate for a while, and I've updated it multiple times, but yesterday AVG just flagged the updater as a trojan. Can someone explain?

Developer

Pwnt pl0x!!

Na it's just a false positive. Techniques/programs are used to make the bots more secure. One way they do this is by "obfuscation" and "packing", which makes the program harder to examine by a "hacker", or in this case a virus scanner. Since AVG doesn't understand the program, it flags it as being suspicious. This is because the same technique could be used by virus developers to hide their malicious code.

Quote Originally Posted by notion75 View Post
    Pwnt pl0x!!

Na it's just a false positive. Techniques/programs are used to make the bots more secure. One way they do this is by "obfuscation" and "packing", which makes the program harder to examine by a "hacker", or in this case a virus scanner. Since AVG doesn't understand the program, it flags it as being suspicious. This is because the same technique could be used by virus developers to hide their malicious code.
    So, you're saying it has viruses right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zenixen View Post
    So, you're saying it has viruses right?
    He's saying that it isn't a virus, and is detected falsely by virus scanners such as AVG because of "obfuscation" and "packing" and because of this AVG doesn't understand the program, so it shows it as suspicious. I suggest re-reading something you don't understand, it might make it clearer as to the message he/she is trying to get across. Sorry if that sounded harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by KraddyYPP View Post
    He's saying that it isn't a virus, and is detected falsely by virus scanners such as AVG because of "obfuscation" and "packing" and because of this AVG doesn't understand the program, so it shows it as suspicious. I suggest re-reading something you don't understand, it might make it clearer as to the message he/she is trying to get across. Sorry if that sounded harsh.
    I understand completely. I'll delete supplybot to get rid of the viruses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zenixen View Post
    I understand completely. I'll delete supplybot to get rid of the viruses.
    You obviously do not understand, and it's your loss if you decide to delete it. I have lost all respect if any for you and people alike, and this is why I strongly believe in getting my computer/computing guide section suggestion approved. I've said enough on this thread/subject. I'm done.

4 simple words: it is no virus

Quote Originally Posted by KraddyYPP View Post
    You obviously do not understand, and it's your loss if you decide to delete it. I have lost all respect if any for you and people alike, and this is why I strongly believe in getting my computer/computing guide section suggestion approved. I've said enough on this thread/subject. I'm done.
    Man, i was disappointed when you didn't see i was kidding the first time... Now this is just getting out of hand lol

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by notion75 View Post
    Pwnt pl0x!!

AVG detects the updater as a file dropper, that has nothing to do with obfuscation, or packing
    If you have any business with me, feel free to add me on skype 'waterlesswell'

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    AVG detects the updater as a file dropper, that has nothing to do with obfuscation, or packing
    >Updater gets a file and deletes the old one
    >Dropper gets a file and deletes itself

okden

R.ita I.s P.erfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast