Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Banned users

Banned users

I suggest that banned users should not be able to see the "Marketplace" forum of either YPP/RS.
    This will prevent them from adding the victim on Skype and scamming yet again.

This is assuming that its not implemented already, if it is, sorry.

I got scammed by neuty, who is banned on both BP/BS, because i didnt bother to check his forum accounts status as ive bought from him twice before in the past. This idea occurred to me because he even updated his Skype status today to say "KK Selling.32$ each", which obviously shows he is still trying to find victims to scam.
    Last edited by tupov; 02-28-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    Himanshu09 and Rage like this.

Vouches: http://bot-supply.com/forum/vouches-...ch-thread.html
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Administrator

All a person would have to do is log out to see the marketplace again.

Ah. In that case is it possible to make Marketplace only visible to logged in and unbanned users?

Administrator

Currently banned users are only able to access a private section called appeals (in which he would attempt to appeal his ban in obviously). Even with this it gives them extremely limited access to what they are able to actually do, as Face said though all they have to do is simply log out of the banned account and have access to the sections. IP banning isn't really a viable option before it's brought up because VPNs and proxies are so easily obtained it would be pointless, not to mention just about everyone has Dynamic IPs. We could in theory run a script like BuyPoe to block access to the site from VPNs and such, however as the majority of people on this forum (and in the PP community in general) ban evade and use a VPN it would diminish our site traffic.

Making the forums completely private until you are registered(or x amount of post count before being able to access a forum or something) could possibly work, however this also messes with guest traffic, and any stipulation we put onto making the forums accessible could be accomplished somewhat easily. The best thing to do is search around on the web for their skype/MSN ID/Username and see if they have been reported in a scam report before along with having them verify themselves over PMs on Bot-Supply and if they had literally just joined(or are relatively new/0 post count etc) prior to sending the message wait to trade with them and report the account to a Moderator+ to have it looked into. It's sad to say but the only actual way to avoid a scam is to use common sense while trading. Regardless of how desperate or quick you need the item you are trying to buy or sell
    Last edited by Sobo; 02-28-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    Face, Sticky and Rage like this.
    Need to get in Contact with me?

Ok, thanks for the lengthy reply. Haha.

When i used to sell poe, i would always google everyone's skype... Most of the time if they were scammers, there would be a scam thread with their skype name.
    ALWAYS make them msg you on either one of the forums before selling them poe.
    Selling PoE On Emerald and Meridian!
    My vouch thread : http://bot-supply.com/forum/vouches-...ch-thread.html
    Trading done on forum:
    25m+ PoE Sold on Emerald

Im Solimar (Official PoE Seller) on Buypoe. Feel free to msg me there to verify my identity
    add me on skype: erinkocher
    I love Scarecrow with all my heart. :love: <---- edited by scarecrow :forveralone: (he still wets the bed btw)

Ex-Staff Member

I have a suggestion for this problem - make a full list of the skype usernames of banner users and broadcast them on all marketplace sections. This would work in conjunction with something like tracking cookies on computers so that you would continue to be banned on that computer like PP do with their bans. I wouldn't mind having tracking cookies as long as you didn't try to import my usernames/passwords and bank information stuff.
    Retired with no intention of returning. Don't remember me because you won't see me often.

Administrator

with cookies all you have to do is clear browsing data.

I don't mean to be rude, but has ypp's ban evasion system worked? No. People have always gotten around it. If a person wants to scam on bot supply, they will find a way. I hate to say it, but it's the user's responsibility not to get scammed. It's not difficult to ask for PM verification, wanting to not go first, and in the end if he's shady to just say no to the trade.

Ex-Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    with cookies all you have to do is clear browsing data.

I don't mean to be rude, but has ypp's ban evasion system worked? No. People have always gotten around it. If a person wants to scam on bot supply, they will find a way. I hate to say it, but it's the user's responsibility not to get scammed. It's not difficult to ask for PM verification, wanting to not go first, and in the end if he's shady to just say no to the trade.
    Some characters can play their part well and not seem "shady", especially to first-time traders. I did also suggest another idea that you happily skipped over which was as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by doubleuson View Post
    I have a suggestion for this problem - make a full list of the skype usernames of banner users and broadcast them on all marketplace sections.
    This will help unsure traders about trying to make sure they are not being scammed. Obviously, people can change skype names but most just re-offend with their current skype account. It might cut out like 1 in 10 scams therefore it's worth at least considering.
    Retired with no intention of returning. Don't remember me because you won't see me often.

Administrator

Implying people actually read the announcement at the top of the marketplace section and the list stays updated. It's not a horrible idea and something I will look into, however I doubt it will be overly successful.
    Need to get in Contact with me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast