Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Spam bots

Administrator

Spam bots

Well, the site is starting to grow a bit and with this we are starting to get some spam bots. I'm sure some of you have noticed the posts at times as it is impossible for us to get all of it as soon as the post is made.

This is just a reminder please report the post as it gets sent to our e-mails and do not post in the thread. Posting in the thread does nothing but keep the thread active and allows more people to see it. It's also quite pointless as it will be deleted anyways.

So please, if you think a post is by a spam bot do us a favor and report it.

Also note abuse or blatant "trolling" of the report button will result in an infraction. If it continues it will result in a temp ban. Continuous posting in blatant advertisement threads will also result in an infraction.

Please and thanks,

The Administrative Team
    Need to get in Contact with me?

Welcome to the Site!

Anyone see what I did there??

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMan View Post
    Welcome to the Site!

Anyone see what I did there??
    Yes. It's called spam and off topic posting. This is a warning, next time it will result in an infraction.
    LastPoeSeller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobo View Post
    Yes. It's called spam and off topic posting. This is a warning, next time it will result in an infraction.
    Sobo, can't we download some mods/plugins to avoid that? I'm quite sure Vbulletin would provide some functions for that? For example, you have to answer some common questions for registration, etc that a spam bot cannot detect.
    Retired.

Administrator

vBulletin mod site does offer some "anti spam" mods. From what I've tested with them they never truly work right and deny people registration who are not actually a spam bot. Or if a spam bot does register it may post 7k posts in a thread and be put into moderation making that thread no longer accessible by anyone who can see posts awaiting moderation(this happened on Buypoe multiple times) More advanced CAPTCHAs are always an option, but even with that its not a guarantee spam bots will not post. We will look for some better anti spam mods continually though.

vBulletin mod site does offer some "anti spam" mods. From what I've tested with them they never truly work right and deny people registration who are not actually a spam bot. Or if a spam bot does register it may post 7k posts in a thread and be put into moderation making that thread no longer accessible by anyone who can see posts awaiting moderation(this happened on Buypoe multiple times) More advanced CAPTCHAs are always an option, but even with that its not a guarantee spam bots will not post. We will look for some better anti spam mods continually though.
    Oh my, please dont add the "anti spam" mods, buypoe added them and i had the craziest time trying to register. Used the "Contact Us" link to seek help for registering as im obviously not a spam bot. The admins never bothered to reply any of my 5 emails. It's a very UNRELIABLE feature and may deter spam bots, but also prevent real users from registering.
    I think advanced captchas are the way to go.

That was really annoying, and it made the whole thread become pointless for moderators..

An it sucked.

Banned

Real people will sign up and then unleash the bots, there's really nothing you can do about it.

A simple verification for posting a thread may be in order. Or a good VB anti-spam mod. But verification is better for bigger sites.
    Skype - wastedbro

Banned

I tried reporting and it threw a database error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast