Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ip ban- Topid

Banned

Ip ban- Topid

I posted this on the forums but it got removed. It's not a ban plea as i'm not banned. I have a perfectly working main but I just thought that it was interesting as it is occuring a lot and some of the stuff has actually happen in the past and I have gotten innocent friends banned.

I would like to bring up a few issues (this game has a lot) in the game and the system behind it. I have been looking through your terms of service very carefully. It is very poorly written however there is nothing that says anything about using Virtual Networks to access the game. It is perfectly legal to do so it anyone is within their right to use this service should they feel worried about security issues. So why are you punishing people for using this service. (Iíll explain)

Ok so for the most part the system will get this right but it actually blocks out people being able to use a VPN. The reason is ban evasion. So how do puzzlepirates actually track ban evasion:
    Itís not 100% clear but here are the theoryís behind it.
    Hash.dat File
    Mac Address (Local Area Network)
    Username
    IP address

The IP address is the thing I would like to point out. Does this actually prove that someone is ban evading? Well there is a high chance but itís not enough proof for me with current day technology and the use of Virtual Networks.

What is a Virtual Network?
    A VPN works by using the shared public infrastructure while maintaining privacy through security procedures and tunneling protocols such as the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). In effect, the protocols, by encrypting data at the sending end and decrypting it at the receiving end, send the data through a "tunnel" that cannot be "entered" by data that is not properly encrypted. An additional level of security involves encrypting not only the data, but also the originating and receiving network addresses.
    Sum up: It runs your internet through an online server, changing your appearance of IP address.

So a virtual Network is legal and easy to get hold of. There are many businesses that sell access such as HMA (HideMyAss), CyberGhost and many more. Obviously anyone can access this right meaning they will have a chance of hitting the same IP address.

So I did a little test and set up a virtual machine with HMA and created an account on puzzlepirates. Now a virtual machine has no link with my PC unless puzzlepirates are doing something highly illegal, which I highly doubt. This was a totally clean PC with a new OS, Mac address (This is auto generated when the machine is created). So anyway I made my account and it took around a week but sure be, it got banned for ban evasion. I have my own pirate network for my main so that will never get banned and that didnít yet this account did on the public VPN. Yes I was ban evading but that is beyond the point of this. In theory what puzzlepirates can see meant they had no clue who my pirate was being ran by and the ban has to be due to a link with a ban IP address (Letís just imagine Iím a perfectly legit player wanting to use a VPN for security issues). So in theory I would have been wrongly banned for ban evasion correct?

So I gather from this is that in the eyes of puzzlepirateís there is no way to use a public VPN without getting hit with a ban. Is that not a Human rights breach? I personally cannot see how this is fair. Yes 90% of the time the person is most likely ban evading but to me this is not enough evidence to prove it.

Linking into this but moving away from VPNís and something more realist and something that actually happened to me. So I was playing when I was around 14 with friends at school and we would go round each other houses and play. So obviously I would log into my account round their house ect ect. (If anyone says thatís account sharing please fall down a hole). So obviously I would be on my account and they would be on theirs. This is not account sharing and thatís not what Iím talking about either. However when I got hit with a ban all their computers got tainted and they were all hit with bans for ban evasion. How is this fair? I would just like some explanation from someone that has a role in three rings. Iím just bring up stuff that is wrong with the game. I should have been banned but they shouldnít. This was years ago anyway so it doesnít matter now but Iím sure this issue still happens.

Three rings need to sort their system out and give and explanation why it has been neglected for so long. It didnít work in 2006, what makes you think it will work in 2013.

interesting

Ex-Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjwells28 View Post
    So in theory I would have been wrongly banned for ban evasion correct?

So I gather from this is that in the eyes of puzzlepirate’s there is no way to use a public VPN without getting hit with a ban. Is that not a Human rights breach? I personally cannot see how this is fair. Yes 90% of the time the person is most likely ban evading but to me this is not enough evidence to prove it.
    Yes. Technically, you would have been wrongly banned for ban evasion. However, Three Rings only base their bans on intelligence they collected themselves - so if the IP is on a list of banned IPs, they have every right to ban the account accessing their game by that address.

To make an analogy, assume that Three Rings is the Criminal Justice System in the UK, and IP address is a stolen item. The account that broke the terms of service originally 'stole' this hypothetical item, and an innocent person (clean account using a VPN) comes into possession with this item. If the C.J.S. find the stolen item on the innocent person, through their own intelligence, they will confiscate it (represents banning the account) because their intelligence suggests that the item they confiscated is a stolen item and therefore the person in possession of it at the time is in the wrong.

In the end, you sign an agreement with Three Rings Design that is written to favour them in any situation, so you are playing by their rules. The owner of the supposedly clean account has no way to prove that he/she is 100% innocent and sinless. At the same time, however, Three Rings cannot prove that he/she is 100% guilty of evasion, therefore any data they collect will give them the upper hand. And since the Terms and Conditions give Three Rings the benefit of the doubt, and they also moderate all cases of bans, you have no real stand point even though you have not been proved guilty because Three Rings employ a system of 'guilty if there is evidence to suggest this'.

Sure it's ambiguous, and you can take them to court - but don't expect anything more than a hefty legal bill for both parties and a permanent ban from all of Three Rings' games both current and future.
    Last edited by doubleuson; 03-12-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Retired with no intention of returning. Don't remember me because you won't see me often.

once i finish my law degree. im so taking OOO to court. they are such dicks

Worlds Smallest ePeen

Quote Originally Posted by carling View Post
    You do that brah, #fightdapowa
    Rage, Omegwavex, carling and 1 others like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carling View Post
    lol'd. I'll give you a cookie if you win

Administrator

tjwells, get over yourself. You aren't as important as you think you are. They are a business, they are free to exclude service to whomever they feel like doing it to for any reason. There is no "human rights breach", just a kid who is crying.
    tehherb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    tjwells, get over yourself. You aren't as important as you think you are. They are a business, they are free to exclude service to whomever they feel like doing it to for any reason. There is no "human rights breach", just a kid who is crying.
    i spent all my moneyz on dubloons, now i iz in poverty. its all their faullttttttzzzzzzzzzz #humanrightsbreach

#Return

Wait... You're upset because they banned you when you are infact ban evading?

I read all the way through that post and have come to a couple simple conclusions.

1.) You sir, are butthurt.
    2.) I don't care.
    and Finally
    3.) Nobody else really cares either.

~Thank-you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast