Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: WFT - Known Problems and Temporary Fixes

Banned

WFT - Known Problems and Temporary Fixes

The staff may very well be aware of some of the problems that occur when using Wood for Thought, but hey, I decided that I should inform bot users and staff alike. Below you will find a list of known problems and temporary fixes to those problems. If you experience any problems not on the list, and know for a fact that others are experiencing them as well, please alert me.

1.) Movement Speed

For some strange reason, the bot seems to open and work correctly. The speed and its consistency of masterpieces is phenomenal. However, after some time, usually when the board shifts or a piece begins to shake, the bot seems to slow down. There is an easy fix, and although its a little weird, 100% works. Start off with creating an additional Skype account. If you don't already have one, then you need to make 2. From there, you will need 2 devices, or at least a Virtual Machine. You will now call yourself on Skype. Be sure to have your sound turned down as you will get horrible feedback and screeching noises will occur that will sound like your house is being attacked by alien terrorists and that the end of the world is near, have no fear, its just Skype. From there, the bot should work at the correct speed.

2.) The Putty Piece

Or as Face likes to call it, Wood For Thoughts arch enemy. The bot was designed to learn as it goes, therefore becoming increasingly better. But due to the fact that the putty piece could be any piece, its hard for the bot to determine when it should use it to complete a masterpiece or a set. From there, it ends up ignoring the putty piece all together in an attempt not to screw up the boards, well that's funny because any human playing Carpentry would know that using the putty piece to complete a masterpiece is key. There is currently no fix to this, but its to my attention that the staff is aware and working on a solution.

3.) Piece Rarity

I think its safe to say that the bot loves to use common pieces, in fact, I think its even safer to say that it keeps rarer pieces for longer than it should, usually resulting in messing up the masterpiece count and often obtaining a Craftsmanship. In many situations, I've seen the bot place a piece leaving 1 little spot open, where it could have used the rare or common piece and gotten a masterpiece. In other situations, I've seen it have the putty piece, and completely ignore it and try to use a solid piece instead, because that piece is more common. There is also currently no fix for this problem.

4.) Board Shifts

Board shifting has always been a problem for bots, its hard for them to recognize something moving (I assume) and for that reason, when a piece begins to shake or the board moves, the bot seems to stop for too much time. I've lost numerous amounts of sparkles due to this, where it will sit and sit and sit and wait, and sometimes, it just does nothing at all. Sadly, I have not come around to finding a way to fix this other than closing the current bot you have open, abandoning the station, and starting up a new bot and re-taking the station.

Thanks guys! If I missed anything, please let me know, and if ANY of my information is misleading, please let me know as well. I hope this keeps users and staff alike informed, long live Bot-Supply :3.
    Last edited by Her0; 10-25-2013 at 12:04 AM.

#Return

Quote Originally Posted by Her0 View Post
    2.) The Putty Piece

Or as Face likes to call it, Wood For Thoughts arch enemy. The bot was designed to learn as it goes, therefore becoming increasingly better. But due to the fact that the putty piece could be any piece, its hard for the bot to determine when it should use it to complete a masterpiece or a set. From there, it ends up ignoring the putty piece all together in an attempt not to screw up the boards, well that's funny because any human playing Carpentry would know that using the putty piece to complete a masterpiece is key. There is currently no fix to this, but its to my attention that the staff is aware and working on a solution.
    There is currently no fix for this considering the algorithm was self-learnt, I doubt there will be a fix for it. We'd have to have the bot learn from nothing all over again.

3.) Piece Rarity

I think its safe to say that the bot loves to use common pieces, in fact, I think its even safer to say that it keeps rarer pieces for longer than it should, usually resulting in messing up the masterpiece count and often obtaining a Craftsmanship. In many situations, I've seen the bot place a piece leaving 1 little spot open, where it could have used the rare or common piece and gotten a masterpiece. In other situations, I've seen it have the putty piece, and completely ignore it and try to use a solid piece instead, because that piece is more common. There is also currently no fix for this problem.
    See above answer.

4.) Board Shifts

Board shifting has always been a problem for bots, its hard for them to recognize something moving (I assume) and for that reason, when a piece begins to shake or the board moves, the bot seems to stop for too much time. I've lost numerous amounts of sparkles due to this, where it will sit and sit and sit and wait, and sometimes, it just does nothing at all. Sadly, I have not come around to finding a way to fix this other than closing the current bot you have open, abandoning the station, and starting up a new bot and re-taking the station.
    This is due to the detection when the piece is shaking, It can't detect what piece it is. Thus you will probably always have to close the station at the very least when this occurs.

Most of this stuff won't have a random "fix" like you did with the first problem due to the fact it's all algorithm (apart from the HMM which is considered "seperate"), in fact, the algorithm works exactly as its meant to.

Banned

I was talking with Face himself via Skype, and he said that him and James are working on most of these problems, therefore some of the problems arising should come to a fix.

Administrator

1 and 4 are the only things I said would be worked on.

2 and 3 are limitations on the bot algorithm and would require the entire thing to be rewritten.

Banned

Well I'm pretty disappointed then, there's got to be a way around it, because that's pretty game changing..It ruins masterpieces and consistency.

I find it works well for awhile and even without being touched will eventually seem to..get tired. Then it starts placing pieces a little strange, screwing up MPs. I will say though, my first DR with it since it's return was an Incred, so it does have it's good moments, it's just terribly inconsistent. If you want it to stat you, it probably isn't the bot for you. If you want it to do the work for you on SMHes and whatnot, it gets Excellent for the most part. I suggest if you are using it on cit runs, close it and open it after each fray. Seems to spazz sometimes when you get back on station. As far as the putty, it seems better than it was the first time it was released. Yes, I've seen it avoid the putty, but when it was first released, it avoided it ALL the time lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    I find it works well for awhile and even without being touched will eventually seem to..get tired. Then it starts placing pieces a little strange, screwing up MPs. I will say though, my first DR with it since it's return was an Incred, so it does have it's good moments, it's just terribly inconsistent. If you want it to stat you, it probably isn't the bot for you. If you want it to do the work for you on SMHes and whatnot, it gets Excellent for the most part. I suggest if you are using it on cit runs, close it and open it after each fray. Seems to spazz sometimes when you get back on station. As far as the putty, it seems better than it was the first time it was released. Yes, I've seen it avoid the putty, but when it was first released, it avoided it ALL the time lol
    I agree, it seems it uses the putty sometimes nicely, which is cool. I didn't make this thread to be like "HEY YOU DID THIS WRONG FIX IT!" I made it so perhaps it gave people a sense of what they've bought, or may buy, and perhaps help the users and staff together in the long run.

I'm probably hugely misunderstanding how bots work but, couldn't you have multiple algorithms?
    For example have the current one work on large boards and have a more stable small-board friendly algorithm to work on boards with less than x squares on them.
    Last edited by looloo1; 10-25-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    Marigolds are very much in love, but he doesn't mind

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by looloo1 View Post
    I'm probably hugely misunderstanding how bots work but, couldn't you have multiple algorithms?
    For example have the current one work on large boards and have a more stable small board friendly algorithm to work on boards with less than x squares on them.
    I know about coding, everything is done with methods. If this happens, then go here, if this occurs, then go here. Theres gotta be a way to have an exception, if it sees a putty bucket, theres got to be a way it can use it efficiently and the same deal w/ all its other problems. They say no, but theres gotta be a way. I've been around programs my whole life and if I know anything, theres always a way, you just gotta figure it out.

I know about coding, everything is done with methods. If this happens, then go here, if this occurs, then go here. Theres gotta be a way to have an exception, if it sees a putty bucket, theres got to be a way it can use it efficiently and the same deal w/ all its other problems. They say no, but theres gotta be a way. I've been around programs my whole life and if I know anything, theres always a way, you just gotta figure it out.
    Unfortunately though just because there's a way, doesn't mean it wont sacrifice functionality over efficiency or efficiency over functionality, and most times the cons will outweigh the pros.
    Marigolds are very much in love, but he doesn't mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast