Question Computer Spec question...

Hey there im just wondering lol... im building my computer ground up and could use a little advice Firstly the computer i have is sadly about 6years out dated lol..
    The new computer im building specifications are AMD FX-8120, XFX Radeon HD 7870 - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

I was just wondering due 2 my point of building that is to play games such as Borderlands 2 Diablo 3 ect... and i was wondering would i be able 2 run certian bots better than on a 5 year old system lol... such as Poesidon as it has the 3 and 4 moves

Quote Originally Posted by xerio View Post
    Hey there im just wondering lol... im building my computer ground up and could use a little advice Firstly the computer i have is sadly about 6years out dated lol..
    The new computer im building specifications are AMD FX-8120, XFX Radeon HD 7870 - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

I was just wondering due 2 my point of building that is to play games such as Borderlands 2 Diablo 3 ect... and i was wondering would i be able 2 run certian bots better than on a 5 year old system lol... such as Poesidon as it has the 3 and 4 moves
    It's really not that graphics card that counts, but rather the CPU, the Ram and number of cores(Cores are debatable sense the bots aren't hyperthreaded)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pplover23 View Post
    It's really not that graphics card that counts, but rather the CPU, the Ram and number of cores(Cores are debatable sense the bots aren't hyperthreaded)

Trident is hyperthreaded, and I believe Aeolus is also. Poseidon however is not. If I do remember correctly its the processor speed that determines how fast it will calculate a move.

Basically your new system will help out a bit, however running Pose on depth 4 will still take ages (on just about any system)
    Need to get in Contact with me?

Bot Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Sobo View Post
    Trident is hyperthreaded, and I believe Aeolus is also. Poseidon however is not. If I do remember correctly its the processor speed that determines how fast it will calculate a move.

Basically your new system will help out a bit, however running Pose on depth 4 will still take ages (on just about any system)
    Okay so to clear some things up. The CPU speed says really -nothing- about the speed of your PC. Where I work, we have a realtime Full HD h.264 encoder which manages that with 100 MHz what my i7 with 8*3.2 GHz hardly manages. The instruction set determines how fast your CPU does calculations. Generally though an i7 with 3 GHz ofc will be faster than one with 2.8 etc.

AMD is the best example. If you comepare your AMD CPU you chose there with an Intel one with same clock speed, you'll realize the intel one is around double the price. Why? Because Intel invested ages in developping a great instruction set, hence why your AMD CPU by far won't be as fast as an Intel one with the same clock speed. For an instruction the AMD one might need a multiple times of cycles than the Intel one, so for the same operation the AMD CPU will need as example 5 instructions (the number of GHz shows the instructions per second) whereas the Intel one might only need 1 or 2.

on Anno:
    http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/proz...4,3003325.html
    on multiple:
    http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/proz...3003325,2.html

Scroll down to the table showing the different CPUs, "yours" should be highlighted.

(in b4 hating on me for hating on AMD, I know they worked a lot on improving their stuff but for somewhat reason (and not only for being "in") Intel does have a reason to ask nearly double the price of AMD)

Aeolus is multithreaded but the sold version only uses 1 core.
    Poseidon only uses one core as well, so if you have a single core CPU with let's say 5 GHz it will be faster than on an 8 core CPU with only 3.2 GHz.
    Last edited by flashbang; 03-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.

//siggy by Poseidon

If you clicked the link you would of seen the CPU motherboard graphics card's everything... lol

Bot Coder

Quote Originally Posted by xerio View Post
    If you clicked the link you would of seen the CPU motherboard graphics card's everything... lol
    I did, look at the two links I posted to see how the CPU you chose is compared to others.

//siggy by Poseidon

oh i ment that dedicated 2 the first poster lol thinking it was just hte graphics card