Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Impeach is offline

    Posts
    197

    Dual Monitor Audio

    Hey guys, I just set my TV as a dual monitor so I can play full screen games but still talk to people on Skype/Watch streams without having to tab out. All is working great except I can't figure out a way to run programs on different sound outputs.

    After some research I find out that (annoyingly) Windows 7 will only allow me one default sound device at any given time, so I can't play music through my TV and game volume through my default speakers/headset. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get round this, such as a program (preferably free) that would allow me to assign different programs/applications to each output.

    Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Bot Coder
    flashbang is offline

    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Impeach View Post
    Hey guys, I just set my TV as a dual monitor so I can play full screen games but still talk to people on Skype/Watch streams without having to tab out. All is working great except I can't figure out a way to run programs on different sound outputs.

    After some research I find out that (annoyingly) Windows 7 will only allow me one default sound device at any given time, so I can't play music through my TV and game volume through my default speakers/headset. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get round this, such as a program (preferably free) that would allow me to assign different programs/applications to each output.

    Many thanks!
    First of all: Windows7 can handle more than one audio device. One is the default one (which programs will choose on default, surprise surprise), the rest you can set either in the app (like Skype you can tell which device to use) or in the Windows mixer.

    Besides that and to fully answer your question, even though you won't need it for the tasks you want to do, you can use VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) to redirect sounds. As example with this you can have the audio of a game as input of Skype. I think the free version can handle 1 "cable" (so one re-route), the paid version up to 99 (or so).

    //siggy by Poseidon

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Impeach is offline

    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    First of all: Windows7 can handle more than one audio device. One is the default one (which programs will choose on default, surprise surprise), the rest you can set either in the app (like Skype you can tell which device to use) or in the Windows mixer.
    Lets say I have my default to the speakers in my TV. My Skype is automatically defaulted to headset due to communication. How can I assign other programs, for example TF2, to go through my headset instead of the default speakers?

    Tried VAC - too jumpy and complex for my pea brain.

    Cheers so far.

  4. #4
    Bot Coder
    flashbang is offline

    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Impeach View Post
    Lets say I have my default to the speakers in my TV. My Skype is automatically defaulted to headset due to communication. How can I assign other programs, for example TF2, to go through my headset instead of the default speakers?

    Tried VAC - too jumpy and complex for my pea brain.

    Cheers so far.
    Make headset default speakers or tell TF2 (whatever that is) to use the headset.

    //siggy by Poseidon

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Impeach is offline

    Posts
    197
    Helped a little with some programs. Not all allow you to send them to a different output.

    Nvm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •