Suggestions on buildings gaming desktop

Intel Core i5-4690K, MSI GeForce GTX 970, NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

It's my first time building a desktop and i was wondering if anyone of you guys had any suggestions for my build.

I was also wondering... if i were to run virtual machines to bot, would i need more CPU or RAM?

Captain Medals

I'd personally switch to 2x8 (16GB ram) and no SSD ( 1 TB is enough and SSD will get cheaper the next 1-2 years), you can either invest the 140$ in a really nice monitor or into different upgrades [ or for bots ].

But then again, I'm no computer technician. Looks like a solid build.

I think you need RAM to run VMs and CPU power based on the stuff you run on them. Therefore your CPU is by far good enough, just - as stated earlier - get some more ram.

Edit: Oh, get a soundcard.
    Last edited by Mehfailz x3; 03-19-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Who do you think you are?

Sobo's #1 bae

White cases look sexier imo. 90% of the world has a black computer. All my peripherals and junk are white, just cause it looks classy and stands out to the standard pc. You can keep the phantom, but blacks so generic. The Phantom case looks incredible in red, as well. If you want people to be like "DAMN!" (as they do every time they see my ballin' Revolt case, that's my tiny suggestion 8^ ) Build looks solid though, would take into consideration Meh's suggestion, as well.

Basically it's like on the movie Cars (assuming you've seen it), when Lightning was going to the last Piston Cup and was getting "upgraded" by all the townspeople of Radiator Springs, and requested the standard black-wall tires. Then, Luigi the fashion-guru said, "Black-wall! They will blend into the pavement! But these....WHITE-WALL TIRES! They say, 'Look at me, here I am, love me....'" Don't blend into the pavement.
    Last edited by Pikachu; 03-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Administrator

In regards to the monitor. Buy a TV with an HDMI slot. I have a 32" TV I bought for $200. Way way way cheaper than a monitor of the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    In regards to the monitor. Buy a TV with an HDMI slot. I have a 32" TV I bought for $200. Way way way cheaper than a monitor of the same size.
    As long as your TV is 144hz+, I don't see a problem with that idea.
    new life, who this

Quote Originally Posted by Mehfailz x3 View Post
    But then again, I'm no computer technician. Looks like a solid build.

I think you need RAM to run VMs and CPU power based on the stuff you run on them. Therefore your CPU is by far good enough, just - as stated earlier - get some more ram.
    A virtual machine loves to eat IO, you would be better off with ECC RAM than Non ECC RAM for Virtual machines, but there's not that much difference.
    Speed is also less important than the amount of cores, more cores is more time to compute more data at the same time, but not necessarily faster after a point.
    Intel is the best choice when it comes to accurate data crunching, does floats better than AMDs floating point calculations precision wise.
    But the most important thing for a VM is really straight forward, disk IO, so SSD is better than anything for this task, man even a ram disk would be amazing (But really damn unwise).

It's a great computer overall for general gaming.
    It's going to host 1 - 2 Virtual machines without much slowdown, assuming you give them a whole Numa node. (that's 2 cores with Hyper-threading on your chosen CPU)

Also sound cards are a total waste if you get a USB Headset anyways, they mostly only support analog sound systems. And it's always a taste thing sounds is.. no one can hear if a file is loss less or not if the compression is done correctly... (so use your best judgement) BUT i'll assume you already bought and built this computer by this time, (2 months later)

I'm just posting due to the guy above me posted

Ignore the signature image, it's already decoded.