Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Learn coding?

Learn coding?

What would be the best way to learn how to code, books, videos, someone who knows suggest something please? Would like to learn, doesn't matter what language.

Banned

inb4Scarecrowpostshow.

Banned

If you want to learn C# get in touch with notion and ask for his library. Google the new boston as they have some great videos to learn you the basics around code

#Return

Quote Originally Posted by tjwells28 View Post
    If you want to learn C# get in touch with notion and ask for his library
    Not a great way seeing as he'll need to learn basics first... If you try and read his library with no experience, you're going to get confused and lost.

As for tutorials, I learnt from The New Boston on Youtube, he has over 200 C# videos and many videos for most of the other languages, it's really all up to your preference on which language you want to learn. I'd honestly suggest learning C# or Java as those are both considered "easy" languages to learn and once you learn one, the others come quite easily to you. Watch all of the New Boston's tutorials on the language you want to learn and that will give you a basic understanding, after that, once you find projects you want to work on, you can google the problem you have and most probably find the answer. If not, there are multiple forum websites dedicated to coding problems. (Or you can ask one of our friendly coders for some help, I know Flashbang and Schalk are always down for helping new coders, as am I if you go into C#)

Just before you start learning, make sure you have the patience to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    inb4Scarecrowpostshow.
    Shutup.

Bot Coder

I recommend starting to learn coding with Java, you will have bigger success faster and at least in my eyes the beginners tutorials are more widely spread and more understandable. The step from Java to C# is done without any problem then and when you're good enough you can start to read into the Windows API and such.

Scare is right, Notion's library is a few steps ahead of beginners stuff, especially if you really want to learn how to program and not just lalacode some stuff. If you have a question we're always trying to make some time to help you where we can.

//siggy by Poseidon

#Return

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    Scare is right
    Screenshot'd

*egoboost*

Bot Coder

If you've got enough patience about learning programming I would recommend C++. That was my first language. While I realize Java and C# are easier languages to use I have no regrets I started off with C++. I believe it gives you a much wider understanding of how programming works, and once you know C++ most other (if not all) languages are much easier to learn. If you're interested in how games work, I would recommend a book named "C++ programming for game developers". Volume I contains all information needed to write a functional console game/application, while Volume II introduces the WINAPI, windows based programming. The book is a part of a online course (that costs $$$) at GameInstitute.com, and may even provide college credit if you're eligible for that. But if you're feeling piraty you should also be able to find it at the bay! It is a very good book tho'. Would recommend. Whatever you choose, good luck!

#Return

Quote Originally Posted by Emaziz View Post
    If you've got enough patience about learning programming I would recommend C++. That was my first language. While I realize Java and C# are easier languages to use I have no regrets I started off with C++. I believe it gives you a much wider understanding of how programming works, and once you know C++ most other (if not all) languages are much easier to learn. If you're interested in how games work, I would recommend a book named "C++ programming for game developers". Volume I contains all information needed to write a functional console game/application, while Volume II introduces the WINAPI, windows based programming. The book is a part of a online course (that costs $$$) at GameInstitute.com, and may even provide college credit if you're eligible for that. But if you're feeling piraty you should also be able to find it at the bay! It is a very good book tho'. Would recommend. Whatever you choose, good luck!
    As much as C++ is powerful and an advanced language, it's also very dangerous for a first-timer learning off online tutorials. You can destroy your computer a lot more with C++ if you don't know what you're doing compared to C#. Fair enough if you're learning in real life from a proper teacher, but from online tutorials, probably not the best idea. (You never know what would happen with the code you're typing)

Bot Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    As much as C++ is powerful and an advanced language, it's also very dangerous for a first-timer learning off online tutorials. You can destroy your computer a lot more with C++ if you don't know what you're doing compared to C#. Fair enough if you're learning in real life from a proper teacher, but from online tutorials, probably not the best idea. (You never know what would happen with the code you're typing)
    Dangerous? Not at all. It may be dangerous if you decide to run a nasty code snippet you found on a suspicious website for no good reason, but you won't have any trouble else. If you're talking about pointers and memory, exceptions will be thrown if you try to write to protected memory. Memory leaks, while unwanted, won't be a problem for newbie programmers experimenting with small applications. As I mentioned, the "C++ for game developers" is a great book with good explainations for the native C++ language and you won't have any troubles learning C++ by yourself using that book. Worked for me!

Banned

I think he means more like pushing your computer to its limits that it end up exploding and causing a nuclear bomb which was one of my theories for the world ending

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast