StartIndex cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: startIndex

Wpf application:

quantity is a string from a parsed XML file that I downloaded by connecting to gmail through gmail imap

textBox_Quantity.Text = quantity; (actual text would be a number followed by return, e.g "1\r\n")
    string quantityText = textBox_Quantity.Text.Remove(textBox_Quantity.Text .IndexOf("\r\n"), 2);
    int quantityInt = System.Convert.ToInt32(quantityText);

I need to remove the \r\n so I can convert string to int

error when debugging:
    StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: startIndex

If I comment out the second and third lines the result is "1\r\n"

Why?

Also, how do I close an Excel workbook that I opened in c#, because every time I stop debugging the EXCEL.EXE process doesn't stop running.
    Last edited by superprada; 07-21-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Server Admin

It appears that IndexOf is returning -1 (which means it couldn't find "\r\n").

Yes, I know, but I don't know why it's finding the index of \r\n to be -1, it's definitely there...
    I just checked the input from textBox_Quantity.Text, and it's "". However, as I said when I manually check textBox_Quantity.Text it shows "1\r\n"

Bot Coder

I didn't work with C# in ages but from other languages at least \r\n are control chars so you need to use ' instead of " else it gets misinterpreted. Also check the encoding of your .xml file. (I work with Linux mostly so not sure which are which on Windows but I often have this problem with files created on Windows and then being used on Linux) This is a bit tricky but fiddle around a bit with it and you will eventually work it out.

Alternatively and less neat, you can iterate through the string and check if it is an int char or not and break on mismatch.

//siggy by Poseidon

Hello, my guess would be that the "quantity" is sometimes empty string. Which means it sometimes gives you the value 1\r\n and sometimes it crashes with the error.
    I have found a non-crashing solution in this question:
    What is the easiest way in C# to trim a newline off of a string? - Stack Overflow
    The code you might need is:
    textBox_Quantity.Text = quantity;
    int quantityInt = System.Convert.ToInt32(quantity.TrimEnd( Environment.NewLine.ToCharArray()));

If this still does not work, try sorrounding the code with try & catch:
    try {
    textBox_Quantity.Text = quantity; (actual text would be a number followed by return, e.g "1\r\n")
    string quantityText = textBox_Quantity.Text.Remove(textBox_Quantity.Text .IndexOf("\r\n"), 2);
    int quantityInt = System.Convert.ToInt32(quantityText);
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    MessageBox.Show("Quantity is ["+quantity"]");
    }

And regarding the workbook problem, i guess it has some .Close() method.